Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My BROTHER's from another MOTHER

Ladies and gents... bloggers all over the world, I introduce to you my two brothers from another mother.  Two amazing men who have helped me grow spiritually, mentally and musically; you'll hear me mention them often-->Edwin "Lil Eddie" Serrano and Hassan "HazALI" Abdus Salaam.

Eddie and I met as children singing in our local community choir (the New York City Housing Authority Youth Chorus).  The NYCHA Youth Chorus was our escape from the hustle and bustle of our neighborhoods.  Eddie coming from experiencing the loss of his home due to a fire, and me tryna find a place to hide from the reality of losing my father to HIV, the youth chorus was our sanctuary, our sacred place, where we got lost... in a good way.  As we got older, Eddie (at the time a Harlem resident) and I (living in the South Bronx) decided to move to Jersey City together.  Yeah, what were we thinking?  Lol... That young and quixotic decision led us to many good times together and strengthened our ties.  We learned about the cost of living, budgeting and the amount of work it takes to uphold a home and a family, which is what we became to each other.  We then moved to Harlem after a few life's twists and turns.  One opportunity led to the next pushing Eddie to Live in Los Angeles.  He's now a vocal coach on this season's XFactor and promoting his new single "I Die Everyday" which released on iTunes December 5th, 2012 so make sure you CHECK HIM OUT.  Pretty soon, we will be releasing a duet together called "Final Destination,"  but even SOONER, you can expect to hear a lot of noise about my first single "Runway" which we wrote alongside heavy hitting producer Echo (credited for working with Don Omar and Daddy Yankee).  You guys have no idea how much Eddie has been a part of the birth of Ruby the artist.... How much he taught me as a writer.  Check him out.  He is a musical force to be reckoned.

Now... Let's talk about Mr. HazALI for a second, the leader of the "forthelovers" musical crew.  When Eddie moved to LA, there was a huge void (though I never shared this with him) in me and that is where Haz stepped in.  Haz and I met at my last place of employment.  He said he did music, I said, "That's dope so do I."  He invited me out to his home studio and we exchanged some music... He was like, "Are you kidding me?  Ruby, what are you doing with these tracks?"  My response, "Well... I'm not sure.  I don't know how to get it out there."  He believed in me so much that he began to help me structure out how to package it and before you know it, after a couple of baby steps... I walked out with Entermission.  On August 21st we digitally released it and weeks later we were offered a distribution deal through E1 Entertainment to push an official release.  That's where we-at now.  Please check out HazALI's Vantage Point available at soundcloud.com/hazALI.  He is also a musical force to be reckoned with.

Links:
Click for "I Die Everyday" by Lil Eddie
Click for "Vantage Point" by HazALI

One love... Ruby

No comments:

Post a Comment